IMPRS: A first class ticket to research
The school offers a broad spectrum of topics in observational and theoretical, galactic and extragalactic astrophysics, observational and theoretical cosmology, fundamental physics with astronomical tools and instrumentation. Despite the expertise in radio astronomy of the MPIfR the IMPRS for Astronomy and Astrophysics provides the opportunity for scientific activity in all fields of contemporary science, all modern techniques, methods and energy bands. The IMPRS for Astronomy and Astrophysics offers a competitive PhD program on the basis of a tightly structured curriculum, including:
- Advanced lectures on fundamental astrophysical fields (“Black Board Lectures”)
- Soft skill seminars (e.g. presentation skills, time management, scientific reading)
- Weekly students’ seminars
- Annual, “students-only” workshop where they develop team activities aside from their main research interests
- Colloquia at the three hosting institutions given by experts from all over the globe
- University courses
- Thesis committees monitoring the progress of each student and provide scientific feedback to the PhD course
- Funding for traveling to international schools, conferences and the best observing facilities around the world.
- Access to the most advanced observing techniques using state-of-the-art earth-bound or space observatories.